Thankfully we have been able to make necessary adjustments to the current new normal, and some things have not changed. Poverty and homelessness still exist. People have lost jobs or had their income reduced resulting in more need for shelters and food pantries.
We are fortunate to have the Westminster Community Food Pantry housed in our church. In a recent conversation with Dorcas Hurd, Director of the Westminster Community Food Pantry, she expressed great appreciation for everything our church does for the food pantry and our generous support.
One of our largest food collections has always been around Thanksgiving. You can drop food off at the side door on Thursday, November 16th, a week before Thanksgiving between 2:00 and 5:00 p.m. Our congregation can also bring their annual Thanksgiving food donation to church on Sunday, November 19th.
Below are suggestions of items needed for the food pantry, including items for the Thanksgiving baskets. Please remember that the Food Pantry does not give out expired food, so please don’t give it to them. The Christian Outreach Committee thanks you for your support of this important local mission!
- Canned meats (beef, chicken, tuna, ham)
- Canned pasta (spaghetti rings, ravioli)
- Canned fruits of any kind
- Canned soups on any kind
- Peanut butter, jams, and jellies
- Macaroni and cheese boxes
- Pasta of any kind
- Spaghetti sauce
- Canned tomatoes
- Juice, coffee, tea
- Baking mixes
- Juice boxes
- Bags of goldfish
- Granola bars
- Animal crackers
- Yogurt covered raisins
- Individual apple sauce squeeze pouches
- Seasonal canned vegetables like sweet potatoes, squash, asparagus, beets, etc.
- Cornbread mixes
- Ready mix stuffing in box or bag
- Pie crust mixes
- Pie fillings such as pumpkin, apple, etc.
- Cranberry sauce